Friday, September 15, 2006

Just finished A New Hope for 100th time

I didn't want to be the only one not blogging about the recent Star Wars IV-VI DVD releases.

I just finished watching Episode IV and thought I'd add onto Andy's wonderful discussion. Keep in mind I'm a big fan, but have never read any supporting books or anything. I've always feared it would take away from my love of the original movies. With that being said, here are a few semi-drunken thoughts:

1) Why doesn't Obi-Wan remember R2-D2? They certainly had some intimate adventures back in the day.

2) Can you imagine in the technological age of individual spaceships and personal laser guns that people would still use 20-something year old 'droids? How fast do computers in our society become obselete? R2 and C3PO would be nano sized in 2 years, let alone 20.

3) I remember discussing with Andy how I felt it odd that storm troopers wear those bulky and heavy uniforms since they obviously don't protect them from laser blasts. Andy made an excellent point that most of the planets they conquer are more Ewok-esque and have to protect them from crude arrows and rocks. Makes sense... But why don't they wear those uniforms when in that environment and wear something less bulky and gives better peripheral vision and auditory awareness when stationed on the DEATH STAR or a cruiser?

4) I realize the galaxy is desperate, but I'm still shocked that Kenobi wants to so quickly train Luke to be a Jedi (especially when Yoda disagrees later). Does he not remember the last time objections were made?

5) Again, I bring up that since we saw the DEATH STAR at the end of Episode III where the outer shell was already completed by the time Padme was buried (which I think would be the hardest to build in space), why did it take so long to complete the whole damn thing?

6) I realize Kenobi is old and rusty, but wouldn't any Jedi be better suited to fly them off Tattooine than trusting unknown Han Solo?

7) Does Chewbacca have a cock? I imagine it to be huge. Why isn't it flopping around all over the place?

8) It sure seems like Vader takes orders from the DEATH STAR General. I don't see Anakin/Vader ever doing that.

9) Even though I've seen this a hundred times, I noticed tonight for the first time that Luke taps his helmet/earpiece when Kenobi speaks to him as he's approaching the DEATH STAR.

10) If I were Leia's assumed father and knew how important it was for the Empire to not find her, I'd do more to shield her from her current role in the Senate and rebellion.

I'll try to post more after the 200th viewing.

1 Comments:

At September 16, 2006, Blogger Andy said...

Since most of these are questions, I nominate myself to answer them.

1) Keep in mind that Obi-Wan is sandbagging for most of this movie. He knows WAY more than he lets on at all times.

2) Again, it's the "used future." Not everything is shiny and new in a war-torn galaxy.

3)Perhaps the helmets have audio-visual enhancements, though Luke does mention that he can't see. Remember, they look cool.

4) Obi-Wan's had about 20 years to think about this - I'm sure he's weighed the pros and cons.

5) It's not for certain that the DS was recently completed. They may have been floating around for a while without feeling a need to blow up a planet.

6) Kenobi doesn't have a ship and they're low on cash.

7)

8) This fits in with the whole pattern of Darth Vader's arc - he's never really the #1 guy. Really a tragic character.

9) I think he taps his helmet signifying his decision to act, not that he's hearing Obi-Wan through that earpiece.

10) I would too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home