Thursday, August 31, 2006

The Open Road

"The cars hiss by my window, Like the waves down on the beach...
I got this girl beside me, But she's out of reach."
--Jim Morrison


There really is nothing like traveling the country by motorcycle. While an SUV or sedan does an adequate job of transporting one from Point A to Point B, only the destination is truly experienced. I prefer to become part of the countryside instead of a caged observer of it.

The smell of a summer shower as farmland rolls past... the exhaust reverberating against canyon walls... being enveloped by morning fog as the exploration of a gravel road begins...

Yes, it rained almost non-stop while journeying to and from our secluded country cabin. Yes, hairpin turns and deer presented certain hazards. And No, I wouldn't trade it for anything.




The only regret I have is that our cabin had a journal log of all previous visitors and my contribution was forbidden. Joanna and her English Literature degree blew past occupants out of the water. I so wanted to follow her beautiful 3 page opus with:

Joanna and Mike came from Dayton.
With the promise of adventure awaitin'.
They saw a few deer,
While drinking cheap beer,
And spent their nights in the hot tub a-matin'.

My rather PG-rated attempt got vetoed, and I now have to rethink this whole "freedom of the open road" thing.

4 Comments:

At September 01, 2006, Blogger Nick said...

Good to have you back, especially at your most poetic.

I feel I may be once again opening the proverbial can of worms, but if ever their was an impractical vehicle, it was the motorcycle. Particulary, the motorcycle as a primary vehicle.

 
At September 01, 2006, Blogger Mike @ MidwesternBite said...

That's it... Sir, I challenge you to a duel.

You list no reasons why you think it's impractical.

I prefer to ride a motorcycle whenever possible. Admittedly, most of that preference is due to the romantic notions my post touches on... but it's certainly not impractical. It's more maneuverable than a car, can take you places a car can't, and is much better for the environment. 60-80 mpg isn't unheard of for gas usage. Sure, you can't move a desk with it, but it's practical for 95% of one's everyday needs and therefore makes an ideal primary vehicle and relegates four wheels to a backup role when two just won't cut it for some abnormal task.

I also have a tiny, beat up scooter that I use as my primary commuter. It's ugly... kids point at me... but it gets me to work and back on about $.05 of gas, rather than the $2 my SUV would use. Also it's fun as hell to ride.

 
At September 01, 2006, Blogger Andy said...

I feel like getting involved.

I agree with Mike that it can be useful in some commuting situations and respect his conservation efforts.

However, the reasons why motorbikes are self-evident, and we all know them without getting into high accident rates).

You can't carry passengers (maybe one if it's your woman)

You can't carry much other stuff

They suck in winter

I don't want to go anywhere a car can't take me, and I fail to see this maneuverability advantage. I never have a case where I drive my Saturn and think, wow, if only I could maneuver better. Never.

95% is classic Milkey exaggeration. It's not even close to that. They have uses, but Nick is correct that they're not cut out for workhorse use.

 
At September 02, 2006, Blogger Mike @ MidwesternBite said...

It's true that it's an exaggeration because in my head I was only thinking summertime. I apologize for ignoring those snowy days.

Other than that, I don't think it's much of an exaggeration at all based on my personal experience. It's been common this summer for my Explorer to sit untouched for 2-3 weeks at a time. You make good points and I wouldn't be able to claim that it covers 95% of my needs if I was still taking a group to the bar on a nightly basis.

As it stands, I'm old and boring and commuting to work along with a quick stop to the store is 95% of my miles. It's tough to have more "daily carry" stuff that won't fit into two saddlebags, a bag strapped on the luggage rack, and even a backpack.

I've even loaded up and ridden the bike to the shooting range the last couple times. Chew on that! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home