Monday, July 03, 2006

Wimp My Ride

Who else thinks the magnetic ribbon decals for your car have gotten waaaay out of hand? Remember when sporting a ribbon used to mean something? Supporting troops... breast cancer...AIDS... Now they're just a fashion statement.

I passed a minivan today with one that said "Honor Student." Either this jackass has taken the concept of these ribbons far past the point of no return, or they've started a non-profit fund to help the endangered American Honor Student. (Why the hell are Norwegians so damn smart anyway?!)

I also read something not too long ago that broke down how much money goes to troop organizations from 99% of the magnetic ribbons you buy from retailers. Basically zero. Send your dollar to an actual charity, not plastic manufacturers.

3 Comments:

At July 04, 2006, Blogger Nick said...

I'm not gonna lie, I've seen those ribbons in black and urine, and they say "Go Steelers!" I've also ripped at least half a dozen of such ribbons off of cars and thrown them into oblivion. And by oblivion, I mean the other side of the parking lot.

 
At July 04, 2006, Blogger Mike @ MidwesternBite said...

I commend you for your efforts and think that the world is a better place because of them.

 
At July 04, 2006, Blogger Andy said...

I never really thought those ribbons were at all a good idea and hope they disappear soon.

The black and gold ones typically say "Go Pittsburgh" and I like the city and dislike vandalism.

For the ones that say "God Bless America," who gets the (limited) proceeds: God or America? The pink ones saying "Find a Cure" (for breast cancer) are a bit pushy, demanding I find a cure, and a bit presumptuous, assuming that one exists.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home