Friday, May 12, 2006

Milkey + Tom 4Ever

I dare you to try and name a better sports broadcaster than Tom Hamilton. I attribute a significant portion of my passion for the Tribe to to this living legend. He's intelligent, exciting, fair, and humorous. There are far too many assholes out there **COUGH - ChiSox TV announcers - COUGH** that have no business being in the booth. Take a lesson from Mr. Hamilton and only talk ball. I can't remember ever being bored during a broadcast or having to endure a lengthy silence... and I've listened to a lot of games being called.

I finally got to finish listening to Wednesday afternoon's debacle against the Royals. Mr. Hamilton's intro to the 9th inning after the commercial break went something like this:

"Welcome back to Kauffman Stadium. If you're just joining us we have some good news and bad news. The bad news is that the Indians are being embarrassed by the last place Royals for the third night in a row. The good news? The Tribe is doing their best to fatten up Kansas City as everyone in attendance tonight will receive twelve free Krispy Kreme donuts due to the Royals getting twelve hits in a game -- which doesn't happen very often."

2 Comments:

At May 12, 2006, Blogger Andy said...

Hamilton is great, no doubt. But since I've been dared and since I addressed this issue in a post last year, here's some contenders.

For baseball they all say Vin Scully is the king, though I'm not familiar enough to say. Hamilton beats all the baseball broadcasters I have experience with from Extra Innings, in Pgh, or elsewhere.

Al Michaels is a pretty damn good broadcaster; I'd rank his football work with Hamilton's baseball radio. Troy Aikman is right up there too.

Going further, your question said "sports broadcasters" - Michaels has called the championship for all 4 major sports. He's the most versatile and probably would rank #1 using that criterion.

For basketball, Marv Albert calls a great TV game, Hubie Brown is as insightful as any broadcaster in any realm, and I would put the Cavs' own Joe Tait on equal footing with Mr. Hamilton.

 
At May 15, 2006, Blogger Mike @ MidwesternBite said...

I suppose I'm limited as baseball is the only sport I'm interested in enough to specifically seek out radio broadcasters (as they are usually superior to TV announcers).

I do agree with everyone else you've listed that I have experience with.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home