Friday, June 01, 2007

I must be good luck

I've watched all of the last three Cav playoff games... and they've all been W's. Go Cleveland!

Three very quick thoughts from a less-than-frequent NBA spectator:

1) 29 of the last 30 points?! That's fucking ridiculous! Is King James just trying to be nice to his teammates the first three quarters of every game?

2) I'm continually amazed by how only crybabies can play pro basketball. Every single play has at least two players whining to the refs with a fake grimace of disgust on their mugs. Usually, it's headed up by the player that flops while alone in the paint hoping to get a call or the defender that almost decapitates someone by hacking the shit out of them and then hold their hands straight up while looking around innocently. Even when there is no semblance of contact, someone still complains about something. This probably is more annoying to me than it would be to most because I compare all sports to the standards of MLB, good or bad. If a pitcher looks towards home plate for a split second or a hitter takes an extra half-moment pause outside the box after a questionable call, you know the ump is screwing him on the next pitch. I'm cool with that. That's how it should be. If I were king of the NBA (sorry Lebron), I'd issue a double secret technical foul to everyone that approached a ref hunched over with their arms held in a questioning posture. They would then have to drop their baggy shorts at half court while the shooter attempts his five free throws and the crowd laughs at the whiny-ass baby. For those that don't follow the NBA, that's a lot of pants dropping.

3) I don't know how many times I yelled, "Follow your shot!" at my TV. I'm certainly not up on my modern basketball fundamentals... have recent studies shown that following a jump shot hurts your chances of an offensive rebound now? Were all those middle school coaches wrong?

(But I did really enjoy the game. Can't wait for Game 6.)

3 Comments:

At June 01, 2007, Blogger Andy said...

Yeah man, the game was awesome.

Foul-complaining has gotten completely out of hand, as has the practice of charging into the lane with no intention to score but just to get fouled. rasheed wallace is the worst - every single time he gets called for a foul he bitches about it. The NBA made tougher technical foul rules this year to prevent yelling at refs, but head-shaking and incredulous looks cannot be stopped.

Incidentally, I always thought that was a bad strategy - accept most borderline calls during the game (they're going to even out almost every time), save your gripes for key situations or really egregious mistakes, and the refs will like you and you'll get more calls. Pick your spots!

Following your shot is important, but guards who do so in some cases leave the backcourt undefended for fast break opportunities the other way.

 
At June 01, 2007, Blogger Mike @ MidwesternBite said...

I did find it interesting when they were talking about how Mark Price would always dribble into people at the top of the key when the Cavs were in the bonus.

I remember that as a kid but never knew why he did it since I wasn't much of a BBall fan. I had weird deja vu.

Good point about the guards getting back on D. I had thought of that, but am surprised that any baseline jump shots or 8 footers don't seem to get followed up. Lay-up'ers seem to try for an offensive rebound.

 
At June 04, 2007, Blogger Nick said...

Whether or not it's appropriate to follow up a shot also has a lot to do with the structure of the opposing team's defense.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home